Saturday, July 4, 2009

Week 1 - Many fists out the window


Well, I finally finished the first trailer. It has been over a year since I started this project and the trailer is finally roadworthy (Well... roadworthy under 55 miles per hour).

Note: The final cost of the trailer was probably about $600 with lots of time assembling/painting/problem solving. That is a guess at the combined cost of the trailer, banners, registration, hardware, wood, paint, flags, rope, sweat, tears... Not too bad.

I have much work do do still, with this trailer, and others... and with the website... and... and... but what I've done thus far is certainly a start.

So, my first week:
I primarily drove around during morning rush hour traffic each day this week. I was surprised at the positive response. Except for one, the "fist out of the window" responses were positive and cheering as people passed. That single fist out the window yelling some negative things at me compared to the many positive fists was encouraging. I've heard so many negative stories from others who've done things like this that I expected more negative responses.

I'm not saying everything was positive, but that the majority was. I had one negative e-mail, and a few people walk up to me at places I had stopped and voice their concerns... but again... of all the people that walked up to me, for example, the majority were positive. People approached me to tell me they were supportive. One person was glad I was getting the word out. Another person let me know they hoped I saved a life that day. People I didn't know were approaching me to express support for what I was doing.

The most dangerous thing that happen this week was when I guy in a truck swerved into my lane. He had been yelling in support as he drove by and when he passed he put his fist out the window expressing support, but not expressing much attention to the road, swerved into my lane. (Another guy swerved into my lane actually, but I don't think he even noticed me as he drove off talking on his cell phone)

I don't expect pulling this trailer will always be accompanied by an overall positive response, but this week certainly was. It is nice to have an encouraging beginning. I hope people are motivated to do something to help the children who are being legally killed and to help mothers who suffer consequences of a decision that should never be made so easy for them to regret.

Oh... And regarding Planned Parenthood: I just had to stop and snap a photo. I couldn't resist. Now that I have the picture, it reminds me of a time my wife was wearing a pin which read "WeKillChildren.org". A person asked her, "Do you work at a family planning clinic?" Wow, I couldn't believe someone would ask that question so naturally and seriously! The idea that the slogan "We Kill Children" might be acceptably worn upon the chest of staff at Planned Parenthood reveals how disconnected people in our culture are from these children in the womb. Very sad.

4 comments:

Jack Spriggins said...

I always knew you were trailer material Jeff. Keep up the good work.

Mike

Jeff said...

I really don't now what you mean by "trailer material", but thanks Mike... I think?

Disgusted said...

Wow, this is absolutely horrible. Today and yesterday you actually circled my school showing these horrible images. Everyone was completely disgusted. Why should children have to see that? On your website you actually give a warning of the disturbing images of dead children below, but where is the warning when you take this horrible display out in public?? Yes, abortion may seem wrong to you, but people know about it, you don't have to remind them with your revolting display! Do you honestly think people enjoy seeing your little trailer? They really don't! I'm not saying you don't have the right to express your feelings, but can you please do it in a less disgusting way? And I don't want to hear some idiotic rant how the children don't have a voice and this should end. It's the pregnant woman's choice on what she should do. And comparing the Nazis to abortion is the stupidest thing I have ever heard. So please stop demonstrating this revolting display, preach your ideas in a different way, and stay away from my neighborhood. You and your gruesome display are not wanted.

Todd Bullis said...

Great work, keep it up. I love your idea.



cool hit counter